Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Latest

The results from my 2nd blood test (sequential screening) came back – it was good news.  Risk of Downs = 1/1100 and both spina bifida and Trisomy 18 came back 1/5000.  We are still planning on moving forward with the Amniocentesis at this point.  It is scheduled for this Friday…  

And here is the side bar story of my constant juggling of career-life and personal-life.  As soon as I started working Monday (after a nice, long vacation) the very first email I read was from my manager.  He wanted to know if I was going to be in San Jose this week.  I had not planned on it (I am going next week.)  But I then had to scramble to find something that could work, as he wanted to meet face-to-face to go over an important presentation.  He is flying to China next week, so this week was the only option.  But of course I have a OB/GYN appt. on Wednesday and the Amnio on Friday.  So this left me trying to find flights for Thursday…  And of course, there were no return flights (this late in the game.)  So I now have to leave Portland in the dark morning, spend the night in San Jose, get up at the break of dawn in San Jose, and head back to Portland Friday morning to make it for the Amnio appt. 

Anyway – all is going well with the pregnancy, I think.  No more bleeding (thank goodness.)  I certainly feel like I am growing bigger much faster at this stage than I did with Luke.  My back is already starting to hurt and I just feel “big.”

As mentioned, my OB/GYN appt. is tomorrow, so hopefully all is well!

My next HUGE hurdle is telling my manager that I am pregnant.  This, after we met before Christmas where he told me he needed me to be “his right hand man” in 2013 – and that my role would have a lot more exposure as he needed me to present to the execs and help him out, etc…  Being a woman, who is committed to her career is such a tough balance (and given high tech is a “man’s world” it makes it even more difficult.)  Everyone questions whether you are “really” coming back, really committed, etc…  Heck, I even have done this when working with pregnant employees – it’s human nature to wonder - and it is based on facts (% of women who choose to stay at home.)  So when you are on this end of things – at the level I am in my career, it is VERY challenging.  Most women my age have kids from 10-15 years old, not tending to three children who will be 5, 2 and a newborn.  I am still not quite sure how I am going to get through it all, to be honest.  But I do know that I have the best husband by my side, who truly shares in 50% of the parenting.  I couldn’t do it without his support.

ANYWAY – I don’t mean to sound like I am complaining…  I am completely blessed and so I am trying to keep that perspective.  I love my family, have a great career and feel blessed to be in a position where I have the opportunity to find life-balance. 

Will let you know how the appointment goes tomorrow…  and after Friday’s amnio.

1 comment:

Bonnie Wilkins said...

God Bless you and You Go Girl.!!!