Wednesday, December 05, 2012

12/5: Doctor Visit

I had received a call yesterday from the doctor’s office saying that my regular OB/GYN (Dr. Jean-Baptiste) had a family emergency and will be out for a month or more.  WHAT?  :-(

I felt awful for her (being gone that long can’t be anything good.)  But at the same time, I was frustrated because that means I have no real doctor right now.  And given my history, bleeding and all the other complications surrounding me, I felt a bit insecure.  Anyway, they squished me in to see the “on-call” doctor, but it was scheduled for 15 minutes, which was a lot shorter than it was supposed to be.

This morning, right before my appointment, I got pretty sick and thought I wasn’t going to be able go, but I ended up feeling “okay” right before I needed to leave the house.  I was sort of negative about the whole thing, thinking I wasn’t going to get much care/concern.

Whenever you go for appointments, you have to give a urine sample, so I did that…. But was shocked when I looked to see that my urine was basically a light red color (blood.)  SIGH…

The nurse took my vitals and told me the doctor would be in shortly…  she then came back 5-minutes later and said the doctor had looked at my urine and said she wanted to go ahead and complete an exam, so I had to get dressed in the gown.

So when the doctor came in and we chatted – I knew right away I liked her.  She talked with me about everything that had happened to date.  She told me why bleeding occurs sometimes and said she was sending my urine off to the lab for better results.  She also said she wanted to do the exam to check my cervix, just to make sure it was okay.  And then she would listen for the heartbeat with the Doppler.  If she didn’t hear one, she would do an ultrasound…  She said I should be monitored carefully and have ultrasounds more often than most, given the situation.

So long story short:
  • Cervix was good – still closed, no bad signs
  • Heartbeat was about 165
So she will call me with the blood results.  I am scheduled to see her again on January 9th.  But she said to call her, even if I was a bit nervous and just needed to hear the heartbeat (which I thought was very kind of her.)

Not sure how I am feeling.  Pregnancies don’t seem to be something I get to “enjoy” or really appreciate in life…  I just feel anxious and concerned the entire time.



No comments: