Monday, March 16, 2009

Just Who is My Doctor?!

I have been doing okay physically today, but I am going through some crazy hoops to get lab results. I just have a complicated situation as I don't really have an assigned OB/GYN. I had my infertility doctor, who referred me to OHSU, and then I also have my primary care doctor.

1. I called OHSU and they were “willing” to see me (they were very nice, no issues there.) But given I haven’t seen them for over a year, and I am not really in their care, she said it was really up to me how I wanted to handle things… She said normally in this situation, I would see my OB/GYN. (I explained that I really don’t have one…) OHSU would have had to get the details/files from the ER and then the nurse would have discussed next steps with Dr. Patton. So…I probably wouldn’t have been able to get in until tomorrow by the time that took place.

2. So I called my primary care doctor, explained things. They took the ER order and I went in for the lab work at 10am. However, I read the paperwork and realized they get results to you in 3-10 days! Given our trip to Mexico is on Saturday, I need to know what my status is. I called and the nurse and she said she would check every day and call me to see if they had an update (but they had to wait for the lab at Providence.)

3. So... I then called Dr. Greenberg (the one who did my initial surgery)… they had the nurse call me back and she said she would view the ER reports and see if she can get the orders changed to STAT (they use the same lab at Providence.) I also told her the situation with Mexico and said that we just needed to know so that we could plan accordingly. I told her I would rather be in “their care” for this stuff if that was possible…

No comments: