Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day 3 Tests

I got the results back from OHSU on my Day 3 blood tests... This is the determining factor on whether the shared risk program would accept us. I am happy to tell you that things are looking good.

Joe asked me to explain these tests to him, and quite honestly I had no clue what they meant (in terms of good & bad) so I am sure most people who haven't been through IVF know either. I went on an internet search and found out what everything means:

My results:
E2 = <20
FSH = 5.71 (which they said was amazing!)

Estradiol (E2) Test
Estradiol is actually a type of estrogen, which is the major female reproductive hormone. Estradiol is the primary type of estrogen, and it is produced in your ovaries. As they grow and develop, your egg follicles secrete estradiol, helping to trigger the rest of the reproductive cycle. Levels on the lower end tend to be better for stimulating. Abnormally high levels on day 3 may indicate existence of a functional cyst or diminished ovarian reserve. Normal values: 25-75 pg/ml

Day 3 FSH Test:
By measuring a baseline FSH on day 3 of the cycle (we do it on either day 2, 3, or 4), we can often get an indication that the women is closer to menopause and has relatively less "ovarian reserve". Another way of saying this is that if the baseline FSH is elevated the ovarian reserve (how many eggs are left) is reduced and sometimes also the egg quality is reduced. In other words, an elevated FSH represents a reduced egg supply (in numbers of eggs remaining) and it might also reflect a compromise of egg quality.

Value Meanings:


1 comment:

Mr. Wilkins said...

Keep your chin up! I love you very much.